DONE: 75th Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Forces, 11th Brigade


Found this fantastic postcard. My great grandfather, Arthur Bird Griffin is on the left behind the big guy in the front. I believe it's on the street somewhere in Toronto, Ontario, but I haven't been able to locate Webber Bros in present day Toronto (I'll see if I flag the Toronto Public Library if their archives might be able to tell me what street it is).

I'm also uncertain as to which regiment this is. Arthur's obituary suggests he was a member of the 75th Battalion Canadian Expeditionary Forces, 11th Brigade, so I *think* that must be what it is.

The photo is a postcard from my great-grandmother to her brother-in-law, Charles Griffin and I'm dating it between fall 1915 and early 1916 because she doesn't mention my grandmother, or being pregnant (gran was conceived while her father was on leave and born in February 1917). I'm not certain how it made it's way back to me, it's possible it was never sent. The back reads:

Dear Charly,
I am very sorry to tell you I cannot get you the copy of music you want. I have tried every music store in both Brantford & Hamilton. I am afraid it is out of print now, for it is about six years old. Arthur is now in Toronto, but only for a few weeks and then they go overseas. I got a letter from your Mother [last?] week & she says she has a had a letter from Jack & he is now in Egypt. How do you like the photo? Art is on the front row. Don't you think they look smart? I hope you are keeping well, as both Art & myself are. Well [?] now with love, Lily
(Jack is John Harold Griffin.)

This was a fun find. I'm going to have to keep digging.

Want to keep up on my family tree research? Use this link to sign-up for a weekly newsletter so you never miss a story!

Comments